Tuesday 17 June 2008

Success Is: prayer

Another great chapter from Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome by
Kent and Barbara Hughes...

No time to write much on it... but to quote the illustration used in the
chapter helpfully summarises:

Some years ago a young man approached the foreman of a logging crew and
asked for a job. "That depends", replied the foreman. "Let me see you fell
this tree." The young man stepped forward and skilfully felled a great tree.
Impressed, the foreman exclaimed, "Start Monday!"
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday rolled by, and Thursday afternoon the
foreman approached the young man and said, "You can pick up your paycheck on
the way out today."
Startled, he replied, "I thought you paid on Friday." "Normally we do",
answered the foreman, "but we're letting you go today because you have
fallen behind. Our daily felling charts show that you've dropped from first
place on Monday to last place on Wednesday."
"But I'm a hard worker", the young man objected. "I arrive first, leave
last, and even have worked through my coffee breaks!"
The foreman, sensing the boy's integrity, thought for a minute and then
asked, "have you been sharpening your axe?"
The young man replied, "I've been working too hard to take the time."
[quoted from William D. Boyd, "I Work Too Hard!"]

No comments: