Friday 28 March 2008

Jesus - His Majesty and Humanity

I thought I would write my first proper post, while my wife is attempting a Sudoku – and the Chinese is settling down inside… helped along I’m sure by the abundance of Easter chocolate.

I have been reading Hebrews 1 and 2 this week – how great that these two chapters lie side-by-side…

Chapter 1 overflows with the majesty of Jesus… the exact imprint of God, the radiance of the glory of God… creator of the world, sustaining it by his word, sat at the right hand of God… Of whom of the angels has God said “you are my Son, today I have begotten you”? Or “I shall be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son”. His throne will last forever, he laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of his hands… yet they will perish, but he will remain – his years will have no end! (No wonder we’re to listen to him!!!)

This is Jesus in all his glory and majesty!!

Yet the writer continues, in chapter 2, to tell of a very different Jesus. A Jesus who is made lower than the angels… a Jesus who becomes a man, taking on flesh… a Jesus who suffers, in the flesh … a Jesus who dies in the flesh…

A Jesus who becomes a human being, so as to suffer as a human being… so as to die as a human being – and so to destroy the enemy of all human beings – death; the power of the devil.

Jesus had to become a man, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest, making atonement for the sins of the people… so that they might become His brothers.

How quick I am to separate these two aspects of Jesus, his Majesty and his Humanity – and my how that undermines the Gospel…

How quick I am to see Jesus the Man dying for me – and to not see Jesus the Son of God becoming a man to die for me… it’s just a few extra words, but moves the Gospel so much deeper in my heart… reminding me of just how amazingly relational the Gospel is… Jesus giving up the glory of Heaven, in order to suffer and die – for his brothers!!! Through faith we’re brothers of Jesus… a brotherly relationship with the very same Majestic Son of chapter 1… how amazing… and therefore children of God, with the same relationship (and inheritance) as the Son has with His Father… what a great Gospel we have!

No comments: